oh so PERFECT!
Some people have said they dont understand us. Others have said we are rude. Are we? We probably don’t intend to be rude. Maybe its just the way we speak. We speak too fast, and we like to take shortcuts. at times we even mumble our way through the conversation. And sometimes that sounds rude. Maybe all we need to do is to try to speak a little differently by pronouncing our words more clearly.
Some people perceive Singlish as a charming language that is uniquely Singaporean.
However while Singlish is understandable in our local social context, there are always times when standard English should be used to prevent problem in communication.
This becomes a habit and Singaporeans tend to speak so commonly with Singlish they dont even realise the faults. These people may not know but they are a laughing stock to some.
may i HELPCHU?!
that guy is sooo HAMSOME!!
Wait. I help u find.
If u don’t mind waiting, I’ll find it for u.
(“wait” sounds like a command)
kindly pay at the counter
please pay at the counter
(“kindly” implies annoyance)
sorry that size no more
im sorry. We have run out of that size
how, miss? Can wear or not?
Do u like the dress, miss? Does it fit?
Pay cash or credit card?
Wld u prefer to pay by cash or credit card?
I on for u, then u can hear the sound.
Let me turn it on, so that u can hear what it sounds like
This shoe is v comfortable. I also got wear.
These shoes are v comfortable. I have a pair, too.
Today only got discount. U come tmr no more discount.
The discount is valid only until today
Miss, u wear that skirt v nice. Come, let me introduce a blouse to u.
Miss, u look v nice in that skirt. May I recommend a blouse to go with it?
I check my other branch. See they got stock or not.
Let me check with the other branch to see if they have stock.
My goodness ..
my sis’ showed me a pamphlet on Singaporean’s ‘perfect’ English and mannn .. We were seriously laughing our butts off!
- 11:21 PM -
----------
